Saturday, December 14, 2013

Carving

After Sanuk Mountain, my faithful Tuk-tuk captain and I stopped at a local silk farm run by and American and his Cambodian wife.  The place was wonderful and the silk goods were fantastic.  I left one scarf richer and $ 20 poorer, but the money went to a local business and the silk is completely grown, spun and woven at the farm.  

Astraddle National 6, the busy and very dusty main road, is a small village that specializes in stone carving.  On either side of the roadway, about 18 kilometers south of Kompong Thom, workers turn blocks of stone into all sorts of Buddhas and creatures and Bodhisatvas.  The larger carvings run anywhere from three to ten thousand dollars US and more.  Most of the larger statues are commissioned by wealthy folks who then donate them to a their local temple to earn merit.

One of the local carvers at work.  Did I mention that the carving areas are right alongside the busy, dusty highway?  Oh, and its about 90 degrees fahrenheit today, like any other day.

The partially roughed out shapes were my favorites.  This soon-to-be-Buddha reminded me of the robot from  the old movie The Day The Earth Stood Still.

So, just another ordinary day of traveling.  I am off to enjoy the cool of the evening as the sun sets and the locals come out to play.  Ciao for now, be well, 

No comments:

Post a Comment