Friday, December 13, 2013

Munchkins

I believe that one of the longest lasting memories I will have of Cambodia are it's children.  They have broken my heart open and scattered the pieces across the countryside.

I have been the victim of many "Hello!!" ambushes,; in Cambodia, in Thailand and in Lao.  It is very much like the Munchkins springing out of exotic, technicolor flowers.  As my Tuk-tuk putts its way along a rural road, kids will come racing, I mean sprinting their little legs off, just for the opportunity to wave like maniacs and shout "Hello!!"  I am just a foreigner that is passing by, but if I wave back or answer them, they absolutely beam with delight.  The littler kids screech and wiggle like puppies being tickled.  All for a simple wave and a smile.

As I was returning from Sambor Prey Kuk, we had to travel back through the same little hamlets.  This time, the kids were back at the road side waving like parade queens  jacked on double espressos.  And now they were shouting "Bye-bye, bye-bye."  At times I had to wave with both hands, as the ambushes were coming from both sides of the road.  Perhaps this is what it feels like to be the Pope when he ventures out in public.  Well, the Pope minus the pointy hat.

When these children smile and jump and wave, they emanate powerful beams that shoot through me, pinning my heart to the world.  I am deconstructed.

I know that there is hardship and poverty in many of these rural areas.  I understand, to the degree I am able, the limited opportunities that many of these children have.  Yet at the moment I am being bombarded with their smile rays, and the munchkins are laughing with delight when I respond to them, it seems that I have never been so happy as they.

2 comments:

  1. Your story brings me a lot of my own childhood memories from Korea many years ago... I still remember how 'happy' we were if we can have 3 meals a day. It is so true if there is meat (a piece of meat in my bowl) involved with any meal. It was our happiness to play with the friends with a pile of sand on the street. It was our happiness to jump into a mud puddle after a sudden downpour. It didn't take much to make us (kids) happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something to be said for simple living, when there is that much joy in little things. Can you imagine the stories those children tell each other... you are probably a "foreign prince" in their eyes!

    ReplyDelete