Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ultimate Continued

The path out onto my own private isthmus

The view from my lakeside hideaway

Muay Thai in action

The next contestants getting the gloves on.


Since I had the luxury of riding back to town, I immediately grabbed a cigar and decided to walk out to the local reservoir and find a shady spot to enjoy the afternoon. A mere two kilometers later, I was parked on a little isthmus out on the lake, watching the kites hunt in the updrafts when I wasn't reading my book. Absolute solitude, a warm afternoon, a good book and a fine cigar. What else could one ask for?

Lunch, that's what. I stopped at a little lakeside restaurant, which amused and befuddled the local folks thee. Not a farang establishment. The menu was in Thai script, so we had to go verbal. I managed well enough and had a fine repast of fried rice, shrimp and veggies while the geckos hunted in the rafters and my fellow diners got a jump start on the evenings festivites. Let's just say that the bar was kept hopping.

On the walk back, I was treated to some fine crowd action at a local Muay Thai boxing match. There is an outdoor training gym just up the road from my place and today was a match day. The crowd was in fine form and the boxers were doing their best. Muay Thai is a combination of boxing, kicking and elbow and knee blows all rolled into one martial art. The light weights that I watched were going after it fast and furious. Yet another bonus to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment