Sunday, December 8, 2013

Protein

Once the bus got rolling again, we stopped for a lunch break in a small, dusty little pull off along NH 7.  Insects are a part of the snacking scene here.  There were two kind of crickets on the menu today.  I've had crickets, and while I really dig bamboo worms, crickets are just OK.  I am not kidding about the bamboo worms.  Roasted in a dry curry rub kind of mixture, those tasty little critters rock!  But alas, no yummy worms.

But wait!!  There were fried spiders.  Really, really big fried spiders.  I found out that they were considered a local delicacy.  A local woman was buying a bag full, so I bellied up to the spider bar.  I bought one for myself and one for the Deutch and Dutch pair who had been stranded with me.  They decided to split one, but I was a greedy pig and wanted my arachnid all to myself.

Oh yes indeedy, whats better than a crunchy spider leg?

Here I am going for the abdomen.  The leggy bastard was actually pretty good.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you, but this last image may haunt me. "when in Rome..." is great, but maybe not when the Romans are eating SPIDERS :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I may think that I'll try it once, but there's something just a little creepy abut eating spiders...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm telling you, better than crickets, not as good as bamboo worms. Oh, and I've got video of the spider munching but I have to wait to upload it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEah, you know you are eating a bug because of the legs...lmao...we have got to go with you and try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that looks like a big spider. I still wonna see the video tho

    ReplyDelete