Friday, December 6, 2013

Foodie of the Street



Ah, dinner tonight. Well, after searching for a Veg place I had read about, I found it, but shuttered and out of business. As luck would have it, there was another Veg joint down the street, a Chinese place with NOODLES!!

I have to admit, with some chagrin, that I have been defeated as a champion of street food. Overall, I have done very well, embracing the Khmer street food with my usual relish. There is one very local dish, however, that I have not been able to try. Not because it isn't available, for it is everywhere. The dish in question is a lovely serving of duck eggs. Very, very fertile duck eggs. Actually, it is duck embryos, cooked to a nice (I'm told) al dente texture. The methodology is to take what looks like a largish boiled egg, scoop the aforementioned embryo out and crunch it up with a satisfied smile. I have yet to find any review from any non-Cambodian that does not include the word "disgusting." I know, I know, I should try one. I am letting my readers down. So I guess my advice would be: Get Used To It. We all have our limits.

I'm still trying to find a small portion of Durian fruit to sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment