Saturday, December 14, 2013

Santuk Mountain II

This particular bas-relief and painting was one of my favorites of the day.  I just love the colours and the sense of story.  

Another of the folk-art representations of the Buddha, tucked away modestly amongst the soaring pagodas and temple buildings.

The Buddha's footprint.  The Buddha left footprints all over Thailand, Lao, and as we now know, Cambodia.  I have seen the Buddha's footprint in caves, on mountaintops, and deep in the jungle.  I was always mystified how a being with feet this big, obviously a very tall being, could fit inside of some of the caves, but then that it is just part of the mystery, isn't it.

Ah, lest we forget, the Buddha's nipple.  There were actually two of them at this temple, in separate locations.  Leaving footprints behind is one thing, but nipples are quite another thing altogether, at least in my opinion.  I would certainly miss them, but then I am just a pathetic mortal trapped in the karmic cycle of death and rebirth.  Its an attachment thing, I admit it.  I am working on evolving out of it, but, again, there is that mortal stumbling block.

No comments:

Post a Comment