Monday, December 23, 2013

The Cave

The entrance

The Dead


I stood at the entrance to the upper cave entrance. I did not want to go any further. I was alone. There was no one to urge me forward, no tourists, and the Cambodian kids who act as impromptu guides won't go down into this cave.

This cave entrance leads downwards, via a short path, to a small natural platform. From here there is a long drop to the lower cave. This is the spot where the Khmer Rouge killed thousands of men, women and children, bludgeoning them and then letting the victims fall into the cave.

I stood alone at the entrance. I had to tell myself that evil unconfronted is evil that retains power. What I actually said, out loud, was "Don't be a pussie" and then I climbed down.

This place is truly evil. There is a palpable presence here. It is horrible and powerful. I remained in that spot, alone, as long as I could bear it.

And then I was back in the sunlight. Perhaps confronting that evil place made some small difference. Or it could be an empty gesture. Don't know. But for my own respect and to respect the bones of the victims I'm the Lowe cave, I had to stand in that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment